Some of my Facebook friends prodded me into participating in a current Facebook fad: writing "25 Random Things" about yourself then posting it for all to see.
I saw another garden blogger do this. I'm a copycat.
1. I used to hate this town.
2. When I was 14 I went to a canoe camp in Canada and took a 32-day canoe trip. I heard loons. I saw the Northern Lights. I learned one of my counselors was deathly allergic to freshwater clams.
3. I am building a hen house in our backyard.
4. Dr. Spouse and I lived together before we had our first date.
5. Rat traps scare the shi’ite out of me.
7. Emily and I once hiked to a Native American village at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. In a near-tragic jumping-in-the-creek accident, I lost a big toenail. I managed to walk back out.
8. I believe in knowing how to drive a standard transmission
9. I have heard the voice of God. He’s a He.
10. I was the first white person ever to enter the home of Pops and Sugar Adderley, the parents of jazz greats Julian “Cannonball” and Nat Adderley. I was in a wicker basket. It was 1959.
11. I have read the 20 volumes of the Patrick O’Brien Aubrey-Maturin series four times.
12. I actually taught Sunday school. Some of those children have grown into productive adults. No murderers so far.
13. I spent my junior year of high school as a page in the U.S. House of Representatives. No, nothing “happened.” (Perverts.) School was from 6:15-9:45 a.m. Then we worked. $600 a month was BIG money in 1974-75.
14. August 9, 1974 was a great day in American history: Richard Nixon resigned. I was there.
15. When I moved to Austin in 1978, I took the bus. I had three suitcases and $75. I knew ONE person in that town. It all worked out.
16. I spent my honeymoon in the back of a red Toyota pickup. It was Spring Break. The white bass were running on the Pedernales River outside Austin. It was her idea.
17. I have a creepy clown watching over my living room.
19. I’ve run a krewe in the Spanish Town Mardi Gras parade for 20 years.
20. It’s a girls’ world. I just live in it.
21. I was baptized at 37.
22. La Gloria Cubana Serie R. No. 5
23. I don’t get to name all the pets in this house but I do have veto power.
24. There is life after journalism.
25. The farther I go on my journey the more I know that I don’t control where that journey takes me. I have faith.
Great Dixter Through the Lens of an 11-Year Old
14 hours ago